The key to these exercises are that they are done slowly and controlled. Do 3 sets of each exercise, 15 to 20 reps at a time. For a more advanced workout, do 20 to 30 reps at a time.
- Lie on back, knees bent, hands behind ears.
- Exhale and bring knees as close to your chest as possible.
- Bring feet slowly back to the floor, tap, then bring back up for a continuous motion.
ADVANCED: keep legs straight
- Lie on back, cross left foot over right and bring knees to the floor.
- While exhaling, crunch forward as far as possible. Keep knees on floor the entire time.
- Repeat by turning to the other side and cross your right foot over the left.
SIDE HALF PLANK
- Lie on side, elbow bent, arm facing forward. Grab your resting arm with the opposite hand.
- Lift hips off the floor. Spread feet apart to help balance if necessary.
- Hold as long as possible.
ADVANCED: hold body up using only your hand
HAND SLIDING CRUNCH
- Lie on back, knees slightly bent and hands at your sides.
- While exhaling, slide hands as far forward as possible until your lower back almost comes off the ground.
- Inhale while returning to starting position without resting your head.
Exercises provided by trainer Matt Chinn, owner of Downtown Fitness.