Enjoy extra fun facts about Culver’s of Jefferson City in this special online article.
Check out additional photos from HER Magazine staff’s visit to Culver’s of Jefferson City for the July/August 2017 article “We All Scream for Ice Cream.”
Culver’s Fun Facts
• Craig and Lea Culver, along with Craig’s parents George and Ruth, opened the first Culver’s in 1984 in the family’s hometown of Sauk City, Wisconsin.
• Jefferson City Culver’s owner operators Allen, Gretchen and Kendall Walz had roots in Mid-Missouri and moved to Jefferson City in 2009 after leaving St. Louis. Allen and Gretchen wanted to create a family business and a legacy for their children, while daughter Kendall was attending the University of Missouri pursuing her degree in business.
• Culver’s was the perfect match for the Walz family since the national chain had roots in the Midwest and focuses on a family approach. “Culver’s, based out of Wisconsin, controls all the products. They ensure each locally owned franchise has quality products and is provided to our customers at its best,” Allen Walz said.
• Walz said their food and dessert menu are equally popular, with its variety of signature ButterBurgers, sandwiches, onion rings and cheese curds being some of the most popular. “Our ButterBurger is by far the most popular product we sell. We also offer a lot of variety, so we have something to satisfy everybody’s palate,” he added. “We have a new featured burger coming out in early July. Plus, we have a special feature that comes out throughout the year and paired with the season.”
• With so many delicious special flavors of the day rolling out, Culver’s Flavor List helps customers see what flavor is coming up during a 30-day cycle and make suggestions to what flavors they would like to see locally. Walz advises customers to visit Culvers.com/restaurants/jefferson-city to view and interact with the Culver’s Flavor List.
• A variety of Culver’s legendary flavors, including each flavor of the day, can be purchased by the pint at Culver’s of Jefferson City and enjoyed at the custard enthusiast’s leisure.
• Allen Walz said his family are huge pet lovers, joking they have “too many dogs to count.” To share their love of pets, they offer a free pup cup — Culver’s signature vanilla custard in a cup with a doggie bone — to family’s furry friends. They will also serve up a special vanilla custard treat for feline relatives, too.
• The Walz family also hosts a variety of fundraisers for local organizations and causes throughout town. In fact, he said they co-sponsor six to eight fundraisers alone in September and October annually. “We give 10 percent of our proceeds to each group fundraiser,” he said. “We support the community, because the community support us.”
• Being a locally owned and operated franchise, Culver’s of Jefferson City has an attitude and level of service that has allowed Culver’s to become more than a local drive-thru since it opened more than five years ago. Patrons of Jefferson City have grown to know and love the Walz family, saying hello and stopping to sit and visit over hot coffee and good food. “The joy is you have customers coming to see you, get a good meal and they are happy. It is always a joy to meet someone who is satisfied,” Allen said.
Culver’s of Jefferson City is located at 1920 Jefferson St. For more information, call 573-415-1897 or visit Culvers.com/restaurants/jefferson-city.